Food Service DepartmentWelcome to the Food Service Department! Dear Melvindale-Northern Allen Park Students, Parents & Guardians,
The food service department has been busy getting ready for the 2017-18 school year. We have important information about school meals to share with you.
- Did you know breakfast is available for your student everyday in all Melvindale NAP Schools? School breakfast is an important part of the National School lunch program. Students qualifying for the free or reduced lunch program are also eligible for free breakfast. Breakfast cost for all other students is $1.25. The breakfast serving times are: Strong Middle School: 7:15 a.m. Melvindale High School: 7:00 a.m. At Rogers Elementary School and Allendale Elementary School, breakfast is served in the classroom first thing in the morning and is free to all students. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, especially for our students. Please encourage your student to join us for breakfast at school.
- Lunch Price. The cost of lunch for the 2017-18 school year is $2.65 at the elementary schools and $2.90 at the secondary schools. Students participating in the free and reduced meal program will receive lunch for free. The lunch menu is a four week cycle menu at all Melvindale NAP schools featuring a variety of healthy choices. A salad bar is available to students at Strong Middle School and Melvindale High School. The menu will go home with elementary students the first week of school. The menus can be downloaded from the MelNap Resource Library on our website at MELNAP-MENUS
- I.D. cards are mandatory and are used at the cafeteria register to record meals and deposits for students. I.D. cards help students get through the lunch line as quickly as possible. All students will receive an I.D. card. There is a $5.00 charge for replacing lost or damaged cards.
- At www.MyPaymentsPlus.com, parent can manage student’s lunch accounts, check balances and make payments to lunch account with no additional fee. Please see the back of this letter for more details.
- New this year, families can apply for the free and reduce lunch program online at https://frapps.horizonsolana.com/MELN01. Completing the application online means no paper application needs to be turned into school.
- Finally, the free and reduced price meal application is included in this packet. Please fill out the application completely and return it to school as soon as possible, only one application per family. If you student received free and reduced meals in June in the Melvindale NAP district, this will continue till the end of September. A new lunch application must be submitted either online or turned into your students’ school for the processing in order for benefits to continue in October.
If your child receives a free/reduced lunch your family may qualify for internet service discounts from Comcast.